I really love these cute baskets from vligtig (she's from the netherlands), but all the measurements are in cm. I decided that since I want to make one and am going to convert all the measurements anyway, I might as well post them to share for anyone else who wants to try them out. You'll still have to go to her blog for the instructions, but I'll put any changes here. :)
Here we go:
seams are 3/8"
- you need three fabrics (two for the outside (A &B), one for the inside (C))
- Fabric A, 2 - 8 1/4" by 2 1/4"
- Fabric B, 8 1/4" by 7 1/2"
- Fabric C, 8 1/4" by 10 1/2"
- Iron on Interfacing, 8 1/4" by 10 1/2"
- two ribbons (or fabric for handles), each 2 1/4" long
- making the bottom (step 5): line should be 3"
instead of ribbon I made two straps out of fabric. I cut them 1" wide and about 4" long. I folded it in half, then folded the edges into the middle and sewed along each edge. I've had bad experiences with ribbon breaking and ripping, so I thought this would be a longer lasting solution.
Can I just say that seeing the numbers 22 by 20, even though they are cm, made me think these were going to be really big. It turned out a LOT smaller than I was expecting, but I really like it. :) Plus... it was SO FAST! Always a bonus. ;)
I'm kind of on a role with using gray with all of my "sewing room" accessories. (I don't really have a sewing room. Really it's a corner in our bedroom.) This will match perfectly with my new pincushion, plus another project I'm just about done with. :) Love it!