Home * Patterns * Tutorials * Made It * Our Story

Saturday, April 6, 2013

It's that time again!

If you've been around my blog a while, then you probably know that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (aka, a Mormon, aka, LDS). I shared a post last fall about a few of our basic beliefs (you can read it HERE).  Anyway, the reason why I'm posting about this again is that twice a year (the first weekend of April, and the first weekend of October) we have General Conference. I love General Conference. Not only is it the only time we can attend church in our pajamas (heehee), but we get to listen to the words of a living prophet, apostles and other leaders of the church. If you listen with an open mind and an open heart there is ALWAYS something to learn, be uplifted by, or be strengthened from. They share so much wisdom about the family, life, the gospel of Jesus Christ, and more. It doesn't always fit right along side with the ways of the world, but that can definitely be a good thing. :)

Anyway, on the LDS website (LDS.org, or Mormon.org is a great place to get your feet wet and learn the basics of our beliefs if you are knew to them.) you can watch General Conference (click Watch or listen live on the sidebar), and as I went to look at it, they had this pretty cool picture explaining conference. I wanted to share it with you.


https://www.lds.org/bc/content/ldsorg/general-conference/images/LDS-Mormon-general-conference-info-graphic-apr-2013.jpg?lang=eng
I don't know if you can click on it to make it bigger, but you can click HERE to see it in your browser.



In my post last October I mentioned a few other people that are also LDS. Since then I've found more people who also are, that you may have heard of. ;) Joel Dewberry - amazing fabric designer! Maybe you've heard of him. ;) lol. (He mentioned that he is a member during Sewing Summit last year). Following people on Instagram: Vanessa Christenson (fabric designer, pattern designer, blogger at V and Co.), Lizzy House (fabric designer, blogger, awesomeness). Camille Roskelley (fabric designer, she has a few quilting books, and a new Craftsy class, blogger.) Dana Willard of Made. I don't know if you've ever stopped by DeliaCreates.com, Delia is also a member. We actually were in the same ward (aka, congregation) when Neil and I first got married. Dinner and games with her and her family were always such a blast!! She's awesome! And a few more names: Heather Bailey, Sarah Jane of Sarah Jane Studios, Sandy Henderson, Allison of Cluck Cluck Sew...(and there are a few more that I think are, but I'm not super sure, so I won't share. Not everyone makes it so obvious.) So anyway, if you thought you've never met a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, you may be surprised that there are more of us out there than you realize. ;)





So anyway, I just wanted to share with you, and invite you to come listen, watch, read along with us! There are four sessions (all in Mountain Time): Saturday 10 am-12, 2-4 pm, Sunday 10 am - 12, 2-4 pm.





Diane

4 comments:

  1. This is a great post thanks for sharing. I am sitting here watching and enjoying conference. I look forward to this weekend every 6 months. I love to listen and then re-listen to all the wonderful talks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love conference too! So nice to have a weekend to just relax and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post makes my day because I had no idea that Lizzy House was LDS! I just won a major contest using her fabrics! SO cool! I had a feeling you were LDS when I read the previous post - it was pretty obvious - but I am very new to your blog - so I didn't know before. Anyway - there are lots of LDS people in the fabric/quilty world in addition to those you have mentioned: Heather Bailey, Sandy Henderson, Sarah Jane, bloggers at Homemade by Jill & A Quilt is Nice & Cluck Cluck Sew & Chasing Cottons & Quilt Story & Diary of a Quilter. I don't think it's bad to name them - nothing to be ashamed of and they've made it obvious on their blogs. Nice to meet another LDS gal! Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got on your blog to say congrats on being a Sewing Summit teacher (woo!) and then kept reading. I loved this post! (That graphic is cool!) What a great way to share about Conference and us Mormons. :) Excited to see you at the Sewing Summit!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in to say hi! I always love your comments, they make me smile!

If you have a no-reply account, be sure to leave your email address so I can respond to you.