Home * Patterns * Tutorials * Made It * Our Story

Monday, February 28, 2011

Made it: Baby Quilt #3

Or perhaps I should say, Making It. But I thought I'd blog about this as I make it. I've already messed up three times. The first two mistakes are just going to have to turn into improves, so we'll see what happens, but otherwise it's coming together really fast!

I'm using this fabric

for the quilt pattern behind this cute little baby.


I don't have a pattern for it, but I've made one up. I think it will turn out really nice. After I'm all done, and fix all my mistakes, I think I might write up an official pattern for it. :)  Yup, I've already messed up. Twice. Well, three times, but the third was a quick fix. Mostly I didn't cut my strips wide enough. I was planning on first making this quilt using a jelly roll, but when I went to fat quarters instead, I didn't adjust the width of the strips. Plus, I didn't account for the seam allowance on the sides when sewing the triangles together. Oops. So, my first adjustment was sewing 5 strips in a block instead of just 4, and now I'll just have to add two extra strips to each row, but I think it will be fine (crossing my fingers). ;)


First step: iron and cut out ALL the fabric. I hate cutting fabric, and I hate ironing. Getting it ALL out of the way at once makes the rest of the process much smoother (enjoyable). :) Of course there is still a lot of ironing throughout, it's not so bad I guess.

(Pictures are not good. I took them at night with my phone camera. ug.) ;)

Then the fun part... figuring what fabrics I want to sew together. I cut a lot of strips and matched them with similar colors or patterns. Turns out I think there is only like 1 or 2 strips that I may wish I had put somewhere else.
Then after sewing it all... CUT it! Scary. I did cut one piece the wrong way, and had to resew it, but it wasn't too much work. Then comes figuring out how to match the triangles together. FUN again! I love colors.



I think I figured out how I want to match them, now back to the sewing machine. :) I am happily impressed with how fast this thing is coming together! Seriously! :) I can't wait to see it finished. It's definitely a lot more pastel than the picture, but I think it will be cute. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in to say hi! I always love your comments, they make me smile!

If you have a no-reply account, be sure to leave your email address so I can respond to you.