Home * Patterns * Tutorials * Made It * Our Story

Friday, June 10, 2011

Kaleidoscope QAL: Color Scheme

I am having a hard time figuring out what to do for my color scheme on this one. I found this sweet line yesterday,

 the colors scream out my sister. I think she would love them! But, I already decided that I wasn't going to buy any new fabric for this project since I have so much already and really need to dive into it.

I've been a little hesitant to dive into my stash, since I don't really know what I'm doing or what I want this quilt to look like in the end.

Looking in the flickr group for the QAL, I really liked the black and white block (bottom right corner) that alliestitch made (click on the pic to see it in flickr):
DSCF9659
There is something about the drastic contrast that I really like.



I came up with a few ideas in my head of what I could do and finally decided to get out the drawing board and do some coloring. :) Here's what I came up with:

IMG_2108

I picked 5 colors: pink, yellow, turquoise, blue and green. For the larger pinwheel pieces (I don't know what to call them), I'm going to use a variety of bold tone-on-tone prints in each of the colors, and for the small triangles I'll use lighter tone-on-white prints. I'm thinking that keeping the pieces in each block the same color I'll be able to keep that contrast that is in my inspiration block. And by using tone-on-white prints for the corners that join the different colors, it will help soften the transition between colors and add some good variety as well. I'll use a bright white for the background. 

I'm hoping this will work. Let me know if I'm missing something. :) Now I'm crossing my fingers that I have just the right colors in my stash. :D



Diane

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diane, just found you via Kaleidoscpoe QAL on Flickr. Lovely choice of fabrics and fab design. This is going to look great! Judith xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in to say hi! I always love your comments, they make me smile!

If you have a no-reply account, be sure to leave your email address so I can respond to you.