Home * Patterns * Tutorials * Made It * Our Story

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Photography: I need PRACTICE

Once upon a time I was a pretty good photographer. I LOVED taking pictures with my mom's super old Nikon. I wasn't a pro, but I could take some decent shots. I have a digital SLR now, and I love it, but boy do I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing when I use that thing. I get lucky with some shots sometimes, and if I have good lighting, I can set the manual modes just right and get some nice pics, but otherwise I feel like my pictures are so mediocre at best. blah. It makes me sad. I realized the other day that I just need to practice. practice. practice... and maybe one day I'll feel good about my photos again.

So... how do you learn to take good pictures without going back to school? I'm bummed that I never did get into a photo class in college. Oh well.

The first thing I need is to learn the ins and outs of my camera, but the other thing is that I need to learn how to set up good compositions for taking photos, like when I take pictures of projects I'm working on or have finished. Part of the problem is that I don't really have anywhere in my house to take good pictures, but even if I did, I want to be able to take those amazing pictures of random things that you love to look at, even though the subject is such an ordinary, or uninteresting thing.

Anyone know where to find all this kind of advice?! What are some of your favorite tips or tricks that you've learned? or that help you take better pictures?


Diane

3 comments:

  1. I realized about 3 years after graduating that I could've taken photography classes in college. I'm still kicking myself over that. Sigh. The husband got me a DSLR last year as a multiple-holiday gift and I've been slowly learning how to use it.

    I took this class online from a fabulous photographer and loved how much I was able to learn in a matter of 4 weeks. And really, she's fabulous. I also signed myself up for an intermediate class this summer through the UVU Community Ed Program, taught by one of the Allen brothers of Allens Camera. Should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found your blog from Don't Call Me Betsy. Love it by the way. Anyway when I read your post about photography I had to comment. I too am trying to perfect my photography skills and have found that sometimes a local camera shop offers classes you can take...the ones in my area are approx twenty bucks per lesson. Also I don't know if there are any photography clubs around you but they have helped me out!

    Lyanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if this will help, but a gal(Stephanie) in my old ward down here is a great photographer, and she and a friend hold photography boot camps every year. They recently started this blog where you can ask questions that they will answer every Monday - http://mamarazzibootcamp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in to say hi! I always love your comments, they make me smile!

If you have a no-reply account, be sure to leave your email address so I can respond to you.