Home * Patterns * Tutorials * Made It * Our Story

Friday, January 28, 2011

Made It: Learning Numbers

Sometimes I really want to be able to sit down and learn with Hunter. But then I think of all the supplies I need. :) He's been doing really well saying all his numbers lately, but doesn't quite have them in order, or recognize which is what (except 2. He knows that one.) Remember, he's only 2 1/2. I hope he's not behind. ;) Anyway, I finally decided to hurry and do a quick nap time craft and make him some extra large felt numbers so that we could have some good visuals (and not waste a ton of paper all the time). :)

haha. Did you notice that my 9 is backwards in this picture. I did realize it afterwards. :)

He seems to love them!


Here's how I made them (they did take longer than one nap time, but I did finish them in one day):


First I cut out paper numbers using my Cricut Expression and Mickey Font cartridge (This is one of my most favorite fonts!!)



Then I traced around them twice with a chalk pencil onto different colors of felt.

  • Make sure that you flip the number over once so that you can put the two drawn on sides together and not have any chalk showing. 
  • I also did the number in order starting from red going to purple, so that when we laid them in order they would make a rainbow. This is a good way to learn colors too, which we've already practiced with these. :) I love double learning!!

Then cut out the numbers (2 of each)

 

And easy-peasy quick and easy, line them up (I used pins to keep them lined up as I sewed) and sew them together using coordinating thread. For the lighter colors I simply used white thread to save time and you can't even tell. 


I debated stuffing them a little, but decided to leave them. I think I like them better flat.

(the flash reflecting off of them makes them look really weird in this photo. oh well.) 

Hunter does a really good job at stacking them nicely when we're ready to put them away. Now all I need is a bag to put them in. Or I thought of making a board or something to put on his wall so they can be hung up all the time.  We'll see what I get to. :)

We like these so much that I've already started on an alphabet, I just need to sew them now.

To hang them on the wall I thought of making a simple wall blanket but adding lines of velcro to keep them stuck on there. I haven't made it, but I think if we ever have an extra play room, I'll make one for there. :)


***************
If you would like to use the file I used to cut out the letters on my Cricut, you can find them here (http://dbbydesign.webs.com/svgfiles.htm). You will need to own Design Studio by Provocraft as well as the Mickey Mouse Font cartridge to be able to cut it out. I have the file for the numbers as well as the alphabet.

This site, dbbydesign.webs.com, will be where I upload any files (for patterns or cricut files) that I share. :) So check it out. :)



I'm linking up! So be sure to check out all the daily Linky Parties on my sidebar! -------->

6 comments:

  1. These are great! My little boy is 2 as well and doesn't know his numbers either, so don't feel bad! I totally need to make some of these! LOVE them! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love for you to come link up at Inspire Me Mondays @ Singing Three Little Birds!
    http://singingthreelittlebirds.blogspot.com/2011/01/inspire-me-mondays-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am addicted to felt, and I have two nephews that are turning one, so maybe I'll end up making these sometime in the next year :) thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! And he's totally not behind! My 3.5 yo still gets them mixed up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These came out really great. I would love to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fabulous idea!!
    love it so much, i think my kids would have fun with something like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in to say hi! I always love your comments, they make me smile!

If you have a no-reply account, be sure to leave your email address so I can respond to you.